Rules for all SAL shows
All the rules for a professional presentation apply for each Show: clean mats, sturdy frames wired for hanging.
Giclees and prints are not acceptable for most shows. They may be used in an exhibit but must be labeled as such.
Pay attention to size restriction for each given show.
Also, remember that if you have a sale at any SAL sponsored activitiy, it is customary to donate 10% to the Scottsdale Artists League.
We also enforce the standing rule in our by-laws that states “Only active members in good standing will be eligible to enter and exhibit in League shows.” Active members are those whose dues are paid, participate in SAL activities and who have attended three meetings within the last twelve calendar months. Be sure to sign in so we know you were in attendance
CHECK SHEET FOR GAUGING READINESS OF ENTRIES IN COMPETITIVE SHOWS
By Harold Nelson
ENTRY CHECK POINTS:
CRITIQUE CHECKLIST FOR JUDGING ENTRIES:
D: HANDLING OF MEDIA:
E: GENERAL MERITS OF ENTIRE PRESENTATION:
ADD POINTS TO DETERMINE SCORE:
Framed (2pts), Dry (2pts),
Wired (2pts ), Properly identified (2pts).
Grade 2 points to each item below if perfect; 1 point or
zero points if not. If the above points of preparation for
the entry have been observed in full, you are now ready
to add them to the following score which will gauge the
readiness of your craftsmanship and presentation.
1. Balance in weights of dark and light masses,
expresses thoughtful planning.
2. Color tones are balanced in hot and cool values.
3. Objects in painting are properly supported.
4. Composition is not split into two independent
1. All lines of masses flow with meaningful
2. Action in foreground melds with background
3. Design of whole presentation is well woven into
4. Composition leads into one focal point.
1. Direction of light is clearly described.
2. Perspective is convincing.
3. Subject matter is readable.
4. Reflections and shadows are convincing.
1. Construction of subject is confidently stressed.
2. Media has strength of quality in application.
3. Media is handled with orderly treatment.
4. Care has been used in textural effects.
1. Notable originality is expressed.
2. Universal appeal is delivered.
3. Frame is in harmony with composition.
4. Composition is consistent with title.
5. Conscientious craftsmanship is projected.
6. Artist delivers proof of his understanding of the
52 = A+, 47-51 = A, 42-46 = B, 36-41 = C,
35 AND BELOW MARK “NOT READY”.